Family Style Pork Carnitas Taco
Difficulty: Easy | Makes: 10-12 Servings
Slowly cooked to perfection, this recipe combines tender and juicy pork with a blend of aromatic spices.
- 4 pounds pork butt, trimmed and cut into 2 in cubes
- 1/5 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 1 lime, squeezed (rinds reserved)
- 1 orange, squeezed (rinds reserved)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Mexican Oregano
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Roland® Chipotle Pepper Paste
- 1 tablespoon Roland® Five Peppercorn Blend
- 5 cloves
- 1 tablespoon annatto seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon Roland® Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Roland® Hoisin Sauce
- Roland® Blood Orange Balsamic Glaze, for drizzling (get the Blood Orange Glaze on Amazon)
- Combine pork, salt, peppercorns, cumin, onion, bay leaves, oregano, lime, orange, cinnamon, cloves, annatto seeds, chipotle puree, soy sauce, water, and garlic in a Dutch oven. Bring to a simmer and then cover and transfer to a 300 degree F oven to cook for 2 hours. Remove pork and set aside
- Put the remaining sauce on the stove and reduce for 20-30 minutes until you have 1 cup of liquid remaining. Strain well, return to pot, and adjust salt as needed
- Using forks, pull the pork apart into smaller bite-sized pieces. Once reduced, add the pork back to the pot and mix to cover with the sauce
- Transfer to a foil-lined sheet pan and broil until the edges are crisp, about 8 mins rotating halfway. Remove and flip the pork then broil for another 8 minutes until both sides are crispy
- To serve, transfer carnitas to a platter along with pickled red onion, watermelon radish, sliced cabbage, and cilantro. Serve along with corn tortillas, habanero pepper sauce, sliced serrano peppers, crema, scallions, hoisin sauce, and fresh tomato
In This Recipe
Chipotle Pepper Paste
#45786 | 7 OZ.
Five Peppercorn Blend
#70386 | 15.5 OZ.
#87084 | 8.5 FL.OZ.
#87100 | 7.4 OZ.