Spicy Brown Butter Cornbread with Chipotle Butter
Difficulty: Easy | Makes: 8-10 Servings
Food photographer, stylist, and recipe developer Marissa (@marissamakes_) used our Roland® Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce for this spicy spin on traditional cornbread.
- 1 7.05 oz can of Roland® Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, peppers separated from the sauce and drained (reserve adobo sauce for the chipotle butter, below)
- *for less spice, rinse and dry your peppers before adding them to the bread mixture
- 1/2 cup (one stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup fresh or frozen sweet corn kernels
- 1 cup (two sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons reserved adobo sauce
- Pinch of white sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly butter a 9 inch cast iron skillet and allow to preheat inside the oven.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients for the cornbread.
- Carefully drain the chipotle peppers on a paper towel, and remove the seeds. Chop finely and set aside.
- To brown the butter, heat the 1/2 cup of unsalted butter in a saucepan over medium heat until frothy, golden, and nutty. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- To the dry ingredients, add the eggs and buttermilk, stirring thoroughly but carefully so as not to overmix. The consistency should be like wet cake batter, with no lumps. Add the slightly cooled brown butter, mixing until smooth and combined.
- With a rubber spatula, fold in the chopped chipotles and corn kernels.
- Carefully remove the hot cast iron from the oven, and pour the batter into the pan. Bake until risen, golden, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (about 22-25 minutes).
- While the cornbread is baking, combine the cup of butter with the adobo sauce in the bowl of stand mixer, or using an electric mixer, and beat until fluffy and combined. If you like it extra spicy, feel free to add more adobo.
- Serve the cornbread warm, with the chipotle butter spread liberally on top. Enjoy!
*Find Marissa on Instagram at @marissamakes_