Harissa Braised Jackfruit and Zaatar Cucumbers Over Creamy Coconut Polenta
Coconut milk adds an unexpected tropical sweetness to this jackfruit dish, which is a twist on traditional shrimp and grits.
Harissa Braised Jackfruit
Creamy Coconut Polenta
For the Jackfruit:
- Smash and shred the jackfruit until it resembles pulled animal protein. The seed pods can also be broken up and included
- Place all ingredients into a medium sauce pot, stir until evenly mixed. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Once a simmer is achieved, turn down to medium heat. Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking
- Finished product should have the liquid reduced significantly. Serve hot or room temperature
For the Polenta:
- In a small sauce pot over medium heat, combine coconut milk, broth, garlic, and bay leaf. Bring the contents to a simmer
- Reduce the heat for the pot to low. Remove the bay leaf
- While stirring the coconut mixture, slowly add in the polenta. Continue stirring until the contents reach a thick porridge consistency
- Season with salt and pepper
- Serve warm
For the Cucumbers:
- In a medium mixing bowl combine olive oil, grated garlic, lemon juice, maple syrup, and za’atar
- Cut the cucumber and onion into a ¼ inch dice, add into the mixing bowl. Stir until evenly coated
- Add chilies if desired
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Serve immediately, or salad can be made a few hours ahead, covered and refrigerated
- Garnish with cilantro when served
In This Recipe
Young Green Jackfruit in Brine
#45021 | 19 OZ.
Maple Syrup, Grade A Amber Color, Rich Taste
#71686 | 12 FL.OZ.
Unsweetened Coconut Milk
#86002 | 13.5 FL.OZ.
#70626 | 16.9 FL.OZ.